Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Crocodiles


I left cold NJ today and arrived on Barro Colorado Island, in the middle of Gatun Lake in the Panama Canal.  It is about 85 degrees here. Yes, I truly feel like I am in a tropical rainforest!  As I stepped off the ferry (we have to take a boat to get to this island), I saw holes just off the side of the path, not far from the water.  And, on the path dirt from these holes was scattered all around.

Read the sign in my photo.  Several scientists on the island told me that they saw a crocodile sunning itself just a few feet from these newly-dug holes.  I bet she was the “excavation artist” and I hope while I’m here for the next two weeks, I will see crocodile eggs in the hole!  

The crocodile in the photo was sunning itself on the metal mechanism of the canal locks.  I think that this would be a very dangerous place to “hang out”.
- Fran Zakutansky

No comments: