Saturday, February 23, 2013

A real, live Toucan Sam


I cannot believe how beautiful this tropical forest island is.  We are in the middle of a lake in the Panama Canal.  I’m sitting on my balcony as I type this and a toucan is sitting on a tree right in front of me.  I think he is looking at me as much as I’m looking at him.  You can’t miss a toucan-it’s the “Froot Loops Bird”.  His beak looks so large, it almost looks like he might topple forward, but his beak is very lightweight.  He uses this large beak to yank nuts, seeds, and berries off of a tree and then he tosses his head backwards to swallow his food whole.  Like many other birds, the fruit seeds pass through the toucan’s digestive system unharmed and seeds are spread when the bird releases (poops) them far from where he ate the fruit.  He is such a colorful bird!

- Fran Zakutansky

No comments: